Thank you to the Goulbourn Museum
2064 Huntley Road, Stittsville Ontario
613-831-2393 | www.goulbournmuseum.ca
1. James Stewart’s (6019 Perth Street)
This home was built by James Stewart in 1895, and reportedly took seven years to construct. James Stewart worked as a farmer, undertaker and carriage maker. He also served on village council. Dr. Ken Hartin has owned this home since 1957 and sprouts an amazing vegetable garden each summer.
2. Reilly House Hotel (6092 Perth Street)
Opened for business in 1857, Rielly House served the hundreds of lumbermen passing through Richmond en route to the upper Ottawa River’s lumber camps.
3. Dining Hall (6107 Perth Street)
Richmond’s former Town Hall was built at the corner of McBean Street and Perth Street in the 1850’s. At this time this building had a lower floor that served as a local jail. In the early 1950’s the first floor of the Town Hall was moved to this location.
4. Richmond Fair Grounds
In 1894 the Carleton County Exhibition was moved from Bells Corners to “Goodwood Park”. Hugh Rielly of Rielly House Hotel provided the land for the fairgrounds.
5. Dr. Fitz-Gerald’s Residence (3451 McBean Street)
Originally owned by W. H. Butler, who ran a tannery and general store, this building was later owned by Dr. F. F. Kemp (the son of John Kemp who ran Kemp’s Tavern in Stittsville). Dr. Kemp practiced dentistry from this building for over 43 years. This building is currently owned by Dr. Reg Fitz-Gerald.
6. St. Paul’s United Church (3452 McBean Street)
This church was built in 1901, replacing the original structure which had burned the previous year. A Methodist Church prior to Church Union in 1925, this congregation was founded by saddlebag preachers in the 1820’s.
7. Dr. Chanonhouse’s (3468 McBean Street)
Built c. 1896 by Henry McElroy with bricks from his brick yard. McElroy ran several businesses, including a general store and a flour mill. Dr. Robert Chanonhouse of Kingston purchased the home in 1903, practicing medicine there until his death in 1928.
8. Masonic Temple (3494 McBean Street)
The “Goodwood Lodge” was built in 1919 on the site of the former Wesleyan Methodist Church. The design of the temple is reminiscent of the Greek Revival Style.
9. Dallaire’s Barbershop (3506 McBean Street)
Joe Dallaire moved to Richmond in 1914, setting up shop in a local harness maker’s rear kitchen. Joe later rented a building on this site and when it burned in 1916, he built the present structure. Dallaire’s Barbershop served the Richmond community for fiver generations, and for many years the cost of a haircut was $0.25 and a shave cost $0.10.
10. St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church (3529 McBean Street)
This church was built in 1884, although local Presbyterians have been organized and active since 1823.
11. George Brown’s Store (3550 McBean Street)
This 1863 building served as a Bank of Ottawa c. 1900, and then as a Bank of Nova Scotia in 1928. Owned by the Loyal Orange Lodge, the upstairs serves as their meeting place.
12. Patrick McElroy’s Store (3556 McBean Street)
This clapboard store was built c. 1843. In 1855, Henry McElroy also opened a store, at what is now Richmond Public School’s parking lot. The building later housed the Ashton Furniture Workshop which was destroyed by fire in 1994.
13. Birtch Bros. Store (3559 McBean Street)
This Georgian style building, constructed of unfinished quarry stone, was built in 1843 by William Lyon. In 1905, William and Robert Birtch purchased the building and ran a store until Robert’s death in 1935. AT tone time the property had a platform by the river that was used for dances.
14. Masonic Arms (3607 McBean Street)
Reputedly the smoke house of the “Hill’s Tavern” or Duke of Richmond Arms Hotel. The tavern was owned by Sgt. Andrew Hill, a veteran of the War of 1812, and his formidable wife Maria. They entertained the Duke of Richmond here in 1819 on the evening before his untimely death from rabies just outside the village.
15. Maguire House (3630 McBean Street)
Quite likely one of the oldest houses in Goulbourn, having been built of squared logs around 1830. Constantine Maguire was one of Richmond’s early settlers. His wife Frances lived here until 1905.
16. Hemphill’s Tannery (74 Fowler Street)
Prominent community member William Hemphill served as Reeve, president of a cheese factory, and was a founding member of the local Hydroelectric Commission. This Georgian style home was built by William’s father.
17. St. John the Baptist Anglican Church (67 Fowler Street)
A historic plaque indicates that this was the first Anglican Church site in Carleton County. The present church, built in 1860, replaced the original church which was built in 1823 of quarried limestone.
18. St. Phillips Roman Catholic Church (127 Burke Street)
Traveling priests were ministering to the 400 Roman Catholics in this area by 1819. This church, built in 1855, was predated by the original church on this site, constructed in 1825. The original church was destroyed by fire in 1847.
The businesses and trades shown here operated over a wide range of years, but their names remind us of the vitality of community life in days gone by.
Please note: Much that you will see is in private hands. Please respect the rights of the owners.